October 23, 2011

Our Town of the Dead [Act II]

[...Posted by Ted H]

Act 2, bitches! Act 3 might take a while though since November is about to go down...and with November, NaNoWriMo happens. National Novel Writing Month is as described, an entire month dedicated to the writing of a novel. This year I'm gonna focus on pounding out as much of Safe Haven as I can. Feel free to follow my exploits: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/reted

Updates for all of November will be me posting what Ive managed to pound out for Safe Haven. Next weeks update for halloween will be something small while I prepare for the novel-a-thon. I'll pick up on "Our Town of the Dead" in December for the final act, at least I managed Act 2 before November happened. I know how I want to end the play, act 2 was harder to write, believe me.

Ill try to see if I can get any of the other authors to come back for NaNoWriMo but at least I'm on board for it.

-------------------------------------------

[Our Town of the Dead]

Act II

The STAGE MANAGER watches the audience return to their seats, smoking from a pipe, but that sure isn’t tobacco.

STAGE MANAGER:
Death sure is a common occurrence wherever you go. Several thousand days came and went since we last met and you wouldn’t believe the amount of people that die. Some who weren’t even born yet had come and gone, others you never even met lived full lives and passed without nary a second thought. All the same, they all went to the same cemetery. It’s almost mind boggling to think of the amount of souls one single cemetery can contain, which only brings to mind that all those souls have been rising.

He pauses to finish his pipe and put it away.

STAGE MANAGER:
Now not every soul rose this night; just wouldn’t be feasible. Some have just been dead too long to allow it. Others are detached so much that the notion of returning carries no enticement. Many others rose but made no effort to do anything. Body or no body, they prefer to remain just as they are, just where they are. Sure, they feel the hunger, but it’s a pain they can live with.

He pauses to laugh.

STAGE MANAGER:
Now, our first act may have misled you to thinking that the Gibbs family are the only survivors thus far. Close, but there are others. Not many, but every life remaining counts at this point. As for the undead, our old friend Simon seemed to be the only undead to survive the first act, but he is far from alone…

SIMON STIMSON and MRS SOAMES enter from opposite sides.

MRS SOAMES:
There you are, Simon. We were beginning to think you may have left us early.

SIMON:
Leave without you? I would never imagine doing such a thing. Where would I even go?

MRS SOAMES:
Those fresh corpses you had with you earlier were talking about invading the university.

SIMON:
Fair to say those two won’t be invading anything else anytime soon.

MRS SOAMES:
Is that a fact?

SIMON:
Dead, I’m afraid.

MRS SOAMES:
Well no shit, Simon.

SIMON:
Dead-dead!

MRS SOAMES:
Oh. Well I never fancied either of them anyway. What of Mrs Gibbs?

SIMON:
A similar fate. We have a slight issue. Sure enough, the Gibbs boy is back, but he’s armed.

MRS SOAMES:
Like the Constable was? He failed to stop anyone when we attacked.

SIMON:
Gibbs is different. He has a shotgun. Less aiming, wider spread. He’s already killed a few, including his own mother.

MRS SOAMES:
Oh, well that would present a problem.

SIMON:
Hardly. Even if he were to make it into town, he should run out of ammo long before our numbers take a serious hit.

MRS SOAMES:
So what problem DO you have with Gibbs?

SIMON:
I just want to make sure he doesn’t kill anyone important. Throw some of the fresh meat or unknowns at him until he runs empty. You and I should make ourselves scarce until then.

MRS SOAMES:
If you insist.

SIMON:
What of Warren?

MRS SOAMES:
He’s with the towns Constable.

SIMON:
Bringing another one up to speed?

MRS SOAMES:
No, that one‘s dead-dead too. He made sure he wouldn’t turn. Didn’t want any other Constables running around. Many of us had a good meal out of that before it spoiled.

SIMON:
Why is he still with it then?

MRS SOAMES:
Shouting at the body. Beating it mostly. Claiming how he wouldn’t have died so quickly if he were the Constable.

SIMON:
And of the gun?

MRS SOAMES:
Oh don’t be so paranoid. It’s right here.

MRS SOAMES produces a gun with a severed hand attached.

MRS SOAMES:
Made a nice meal out of the whole arm! Such a pretty gun as well.

SIMON:
Get rid of it.

MRS SOAMES:
Oh hush. It is less likely to hurt anyone if I hold onto it.

SIMON:
Fine, just stay away from Gibbs.

MRS SOAMES:
Oh you make it seem like he came with an army.

SIMON:
I don’t have time for this.

SIMON STIMSON and MRS SOAMES exit.

STAGE MANAGER:
Well it looks like we have ourselves a second act…Oh stop being a little bitch Joe! All the bad people are gone now.

JOE CROWELL peeks out from the back of the stage but then goes back into hiding.

STAGE MANAGER:
Fine, be that way. Lets move time forward a bit and switch our scene back to George and company.

GEORGE GIBBS, REBECCA GIBBS and DOC GIBBS all walk on stage.

GEORGE:
Any questions on the plan?

REBECCA:
Did we not just get done talking about it?

GEORGE:
Yeah, but that was during the intermission.

REBECCA:
So?

GEORGE:
*Sigh* Bitchsayswhat?

REBECCA:
What?

GEORGE:
Nice.

DOC GIBBS:
We’re not going anywhere with out the Webb family.

GEORGE:
Just don’t mention the part where I re-killed their son.

REBECCA:
With all the dead family members we’ve been running into, I’m surprised we haven’t seen Emily yet.

STAGE MANAGER:
*Throws the script at REBECCA* Did she even READ the fucking script?

DOC GIBBS:
*Knocks on the door to the Webb house* Charles? Myrtle? Anyone home?

MR WEBB:
Oh my, what a day this is turning into.

MR WEBB opens his door and lets everyone in.

MR WEBB:
What the hell is HE doing back here?

GEORGE:
Uh…so…do I still get to call you dad?

DOC GIBBS:
Never mind that. Charles, we need to get out of here. You notice that the dead have been rising?

MR WEBB:
Yes, actually. Ol’ Howie Newsome said something like that when we let him and the paperboy in earlier. Both looked like a mess. I asked if I should fetch you, Doc, but they both said something about how useless they should be.

DOC GIBBS:
Where are they now?

MR WEBB:
In the back, laying down. Haven’t caused me or the missus much trouble. Complained about being hungry is all, just sent Myrtle in back with some soup to take care of that.

GEORGE GIBBS cocks his shotgun.

DOC GIBBS:
Charles, this is important, I need to see the both of them.

MR WEBB:
That shouldn’t be any trouble. Here they come now. Hey boys, guess who just walked…oh my. What happened?

HOWIE NEWSOME and SI CROWELL enter. Both are covered in blood, HOWIE NEWSOME is carrying an entire leg while SI CROWELL has a long strand of intestine.

MR WEBB:
Whatcha boys got there?

SI:
Your wife.

MR WEBB:
…Wut?

GEORGE:
Step aside.

HOWIE:
We’re still so hungry!

GEORGE:
I got ya covered.

GEORGE GIBBS shoots HOWIE NEWSOME in the chest, causing him to fall backwards to the ground while SI CROWELL lunges forward. MR WEBB hides behind GEORGE GIBBS while DOC GIBBS pulls a scalpel from his pocket and stabs SI CROWELL in the chest then kicks him to the ground.

MR WEBB:
What’s going on here?

REBECCA:
They aren’t dead?

SI CROWELL and HOWIE NEWSOME both rise to their feet and go back on the attack.

GEORGE:
Let’s see ‘em get up after this.

GEORGE GIBBS shoots SI CROWELL in the head, cocks and aims for HOWIE NEWSOME.

DOC GIBBS:
George, wait! Leave Howie alive.

GEORGE:
Are you kidding me?

DOC GIBBS:
I didn’t say he needed to walk though.

GEORGE GIBBS shoots HOWIE NEWSOME in the knees, bringing him to the ground again. DOC GIBBS runs over and pins his arms down.

DOC GIBBS:
Anybody, hold his arms for me.

MR WEBB and REBECCA GIBBS each hold down one of HOWIE NEWSOMEs arms while GEORGE GIBBS stood over him aiming his shotgun.

DOC GIBBS:
Howie? Are you still with us?

HOWIE:
I never left Doc. Let me go everyone, I feel much better now.

DOC GIBBS:
Forgive us if we don’t believe you.

DOC GIBBS bends over and places his fingers on HOWIE NEWSOMEs neck.

GEORGE:
Uh, dad? What are you doing?

DOC GIBBS:
Checking for a pulse, but I’m not getting anything.

GEORGE:
He’s dead, dad. I could’ve told you that.

DOC GIBBS:
Alright, smartass, how would you know?

GEORGE:
I shot him in the chest, remember?

HOWIE:
I ain’t dead. I don’t feel dead at least.

DOC GIBBS:
Right…so Howie, why did you and Si kill Mrs Webb?

HOWIE:
I was just so hungry.

DOC GIBBS:
She brought you soup.

HOWIE:
I can’t really explain it Doc, I just can’t stand the idea of normal food anymore. I need something…live.

DOC GIBBS:
Why did you attack us if you havent even finished Mrs Webb?

HOIWE:
She spoiled. She don’t taste all that good anymore.

REBECCA:
Who killed you, Howie?

HOWIE:
I ain’t dead.

REBECCA:
Well…who hurt you before?

HOWIE:
Simon did. He said he’d have killed me if I didn’t spoil so quickly. Never bothered to ask him what he meant, but I think it meant he didn’t kill me. He never did explain much too me before he and Mrs Gibbs let us go here.

DOC GIBBS:
Simon did kill you, Howie. Do you know where he came from?

HOWIE:
I guess the cemetery.

DOC GIBBS:
…George, I’m afraid there isn’t much else we can gather from our old friend Howie.

GEORGE:
Right. *Shoots HOWIE NEWSOME*

MR WEBB:
What happens now?

GEORGE:
We get the hell out of here.

DOC GIBBS:
Yes, Charles, I want you to go with my children. Help them get to the gas station.

GEORGE:
Dad, you’re talking as if you aren’t going with us.

DOC GIBBS:
I’m going to the cemetery, see if there is anything I can find out about all this.

GEORGE:
Then we’ll go with you.

DOC GIBBS:
No. Getting the gas is more important. I’ll meet you at your car and we’ll all escape together. But if there is any way of getting to the bottom of all this living dead nonsense, it would be at the source.

GEORGE:
That’s a pretty stupid idea. We should just leave and never look back.

DOC GIBBS:
Son, you’re talking as if you’re going to convince me otherwise.

GEORGE:
Fine, but when we get the car gassed up, I won’t wait for you if there’s trouble.

DOC GIBBS:
Yes, well, this wouldn’t be the first time you hightail it at the first sign of trouble.

Exit DOC GIBBS.

GEORGE:


REBECCA:
Well?

GEORGE:
What? Are you ready or what?

REBECCA:
Yeah, George, just waiting on you. Ready Mr Webb?

MR WEBB:
Oh we’re ready.

REBECCA:
Why are you carrying that leg?

MR WEBB:
Why would I ever leave my wife behind?

REBECCA:
Because she’s dead.

MR WEBB:
And where is your husband in all this?

REBECCA:
Dead...and then dead again when he got back up. The difference is I didn’t feel the need to take a souvenir.

MR WEBB:
Like you would even care enough. How many different husbands does that make for you?

REBECCA:
Whatever. This one would’ve been the one had he lived long enough…heh…I just realized we’re all widowed in here.

GEORGE:
Enough. Lets go.

REBECCA:
Well aren’t we all serious all of a sudden.

Exit GEORGE GIBBS, REBECCA GIBBS and MR WEBB.

STAGE MANAGER:
Scene shift time! Time to meet another beloved undead favorite!

Enter SIMON STIMSON and WARREN from opposite sides.

SIMON:
Warren? Are you wearing the Constables clothing?

WARREN:
I’m the new-old Constable! It feels right this way.

SIMON:
Whatever helps you cope. How goes the numbers swelling?

WARREN:
As well as Mrs Gibbs had hoped.

SIMON:
Her wishes are no longer a priority.

WARREN:
Is that so?

SIMON:
Warren? Why do you want to leave Grover’s Corners?

WARREN:
I…Well…It seems like the thing to do. Spread ourselves and conquer. We’ll eat like kings!

SIMON:
No. I never saw it that way. We don’t NEED food, we’re dead. We can go long stretches without eating other people.

WARREN:
So what do you suggest.

SIMON:
I’m more interested in reclaiming our home. Grover’s Corners once belonged to us. Then our time came and we left. But we’re back now, so why not take back what is ours.

WARREN:
I don’t think many others would like that idea.

SIMON:
Yes well, most of the naysayers are the more recent dead. They aren't as disconnected to the human need as we are.

WARREN:
Wouldn’t wanting to stay and reclaim your home qualify as a human need?

SIMON:
This coming from a man who felt the need to retake his mantle as Constable.

WARREN:
Ok, I can see your point.

SIMON:
I just see no need to go out and conquer when we could just stay here and let people come to us.

WARREN:
It does sound easier.

SIMON:
Yes, and less likely we run into people with shotguns.

WARREN:
But how can we last with intermittent victims?

SIMON:
We’ve wasted plenty of spoiled meat. I’m sure there are better preservation methods. We can just kill someone and prevent their turning, then preserve the body so it doesn’t spoil.

WARREN:
That sounds like a lot of work.

SIMON:
It’s easier, trust me. Plus, we wont have to share as much.

WARREN:
Well if you put it that way…

SIMON:
We can figure something for preservation. Remember when that Craig boy stumbled into the cemetery a week ago? We killed him and took him to the river. Idea was we could submerge him in the water and he wouldn’t spoil. Didn’t work but now we control the town. We can figure out a way to get it done.

WARREN:
I would like to go back to the old days. We could live life, and live it like we all said we would when we were just talking in the graveyard.

SIMON:
Sure, Warren, sure.

WARREN:
I’m sure Mrs Gibbs would like the idea.

SIMON:
How many time do I have to tell you, you goit, Julia Gibbs is dead for good now.

WARREN:
Not THAT Mrs Gibbs.

SIMON:
Oh…Well, best not to bother her right now.

Exit SIMON STIMSON and WARREN.

STAGE MANAGER:
(Nonchalantly) New scene, whatever.

Exit STAGE MANAGER.

STAGE MANAGER: (offstage)
Ya know I played a bigger role in the original…fuckers…

Enter GEORGE GIBBS, REBECA GIBBS and MR WEBB.

REBECCA:
Look at all these dead people.

MR WEBB:
They don’t look devoured though. They’ve been run over. What else could kill them?

Enter BASEBALL PLAYER.

BASEBALL PLAYER:
Run for your lives!

GEORGE:
We know, we know. Zombies.

BASEBALL PLAYER:
Fuck the zombies. I’m talking about the horse!

Enter BESSIE as a zombie horse. BESSIE runs through, trampling BASEBALL PLAYER and killing him.

REBECCA:
Wait, wasn’t the horse just imaginary an act ago?

GEORGE:
Get down!

GEORGE GIBBS shoots the horse as it runs back, but does little damage. As it makes another pass, GEORGE GIBBS shoots out one of its legs, causing it to topple over.

GEORGE:
This is getting ridiculous.

JOE CROWELL: (offstage)
I’ll say, Gibbs.

Enter JOE CROWELL.

JOE:
Just a second. Can never be too sure.

JOE CROWELL pulls out a gun and puts a round through BESSIEs eye. He then points the gun at GEORGE GIBBS.

GEORGE:
Just hold on a moment, Joe. I’m not one of them.

JOE:
I don’t believe in coincidences, George. You’re gonna tell me why the dead are attacking and you so conveniently arrive at the same time?

REBECCA:
That’s the Constable’s gun! How’d you get it?

JOE:
He’s dead. Mrs Soames had it. I snuck up and beat a rock over her head and took the gun. I’d hate to waste the bullet, Gibbs, so what do you have to do with all this?

GEORGE:
I have no idea why any of this is happening. I’m just trying to get out of here with my family.

JOE:
Now that’s a change of pace for you. Makes me wonder why you even left.

GEORGE:
Look, we can either stand here and talk, or we can get to the gas station and get the hell out of here.

JOE:
You ain’t getting within five feet of that station with just a shotgun.

REBECCA:
We can get a hell of a lot closer with your help.

JOE:
Like this pea shooter will do anything.

MR WEBB:
Well you won’t last long on your own in any case.

JOE:
Guess I have no choice, but this conversation isn’t over Gibbs.

GEORGE:
Fine, whatever.

JOE:
One more question though. Why is Webb carrying a leg?

REBECCA:
Please don’t ask.

Exit GEORGE GIBBS, JOW CROWELL, REBECCA GIBBS and MR WEBB. A moment passes but the STAGE MANAGER doesn’t return. Another moment passes and DOC GIBBS walks on stage.

DOC GIBBS:
Well folks, it seems our host seems to have taken the lack of lines a bit personally. Lucky for you I can fill in for at least a scene transition, while the Stage Manager rewrites himself into the next act. It isn’t much; We’re just moving forward in time just a little and changing locations. Now we move to the heart of Grover’s Corners, home of many landmarks such as the church and the only gas station for miles. Our party of survivors are just arriving.

Exit DOC GIBBS. GEORGE GIBBS enters slowly, aiming his shotgun. He surveys the area, nods, then waves in JOE CROWELL, MR WEBB and REBECCA GIBBS.

JOE:
We’re almost there. Just a bit further.

REBECCA:
How are we getting the gas back to the car?

JOE:
There should be containers around to carry the gas in. We need much, George?

GEORGE:
Not much. Just enough to cross back into Massachusetts. From there we can get help and more gas.

MR WEBB:
Where are we going, exactly?

GEORGE:
I’m going home. Home-home I mean. I didn’t come here to move back.

JOE:
Then why the hell are you here? I still think it’s suspicious.

REBECCA:
Then why are you even with us now?

JOE:
Suspicious or not, my best shot at surviving lies with the guy with the biggest gun.

GEORGE:
You’re all welcome to stay with me, except you Joe.

JOE:
Fuck you.

MR WEBB:
I can’t imagine living anywhere buy Grover’s Corners.

JOE:
You’re welcome to stay here, old man. As for the rest of us, the gas station is right there.

Everyone walks forward, GEORGE GIBBS stops short.

REBECCA:
What’s wrong, George?

GEORGE:
I couldn’t go ten feet before without running into a dead person. Now we’re in the heart of town and not a damn thing.

JOE:
Think they’re smart enough to set a trap?

GEORGE:
They’ve been doing nothing but setting traps. My own mother tried to play me.

REBECCA:
Should we run then? This does seem too easy.

PROFESSOR WILLARD: (off stage)
I believe that would be a futile effort now, I’m afraid.

Enter PROFESSOR WILLARD, WARREN, SIMON STIMSON and several other ZOMBIES, all surrounding the area.

JOE:
That’s a lot of fucking dead people.

GEORGE:
How did you even know we we’re coming?

SIMON:
Well when word passes around that the one and only George Gibbs is waltzing his way into town even when the dead are attacking, there can be only one reason, especially since we all knew you got a shiny new Ford all those years ago. So we decided to pull back and let you walk unsuspected right into our little homecoming party.

GEORGE:
How do you think this is gonna end, Stimson? We’re armed and you’re halfway decayed.

WILLARD:
You’ve two guns and a leg between the four of you. How long can you possibly last against the dozens of us?

WILLARD:
Contrary to what you may think, George, we don’t want to kill you. Not right away at least. Someone wants to talk to you, alive. You and Webb. You should get going now, before an accident happens.

JOE:
What about-

SIMON:
I’m afraid you’re little more than an appetizer now, you and the woman.

GEORGE:
Well I guess that does it. Only one option left, right Joe?

JOE:
Damn right, Gibbs.

GEORGE GIBBS and JOE CROWELL open fire at the ZOMBIES as they close in on the living. The lights dim. A single light illuminates the center of the stage as the Stage Manager walks out and under it.

STAGE MANAGER:
That concludes out second act. Few minutes intermission then make sure you get your asses back for the final act. You don’t want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment