November 27, 2011

Safe Haven - She Can't Find Her Mommy (NaNoWriMo update #10)


[...Posted by Ted H]


Greetings from a little place I'd like to call the winners circle!


50,000 words and then some for good measure...all accomplished in less than a month! I'll talk more tomorrow...for now, just bask in my greatness and enjoy a small sample of my months toils!


---------------------------------

The door was open to John’s apartment. He sure as hell didn’t leave it that way either. “I smell bacon,” he breathed as he pulled out his magnum and kicked open the door. Someone screamed and John saw them finish ducking into his room. “Gotcha,” he said as Kate tailed him into the apartment with her own gun drawn. “What’s going on?” she asked “And who are we about to shoot?” John nodded to his bedroom.

He didn’t know who it was, either a ResE or someone who thought they could steal product from John, either way they were as good as dead. “Step on out, bitch,” John called as he kept his magnum aimed at the door. The door slowly opened and out stepped a girl with her hands over her head. “Please,” she pleaded “Don’t shoot, it’s me,”

“’Me’ who?” John asked as Kate slapped the back of his head. “It’s Cayra, you dolt!” she said as she walked over. “Whatever,” John said as he concealed his gun, “Why the fuck are you even in here?” Cayra stared at him a moment before turning to Kate. “I need your help. Something’s happened.”

Cayra went on to explain her run in with the ResEs from the previous night. When she got to the part where she killed a ResE, John ran over and threw his arm around her. “I’m so proud of you!” he said “Your first ResE kill!” He then took a moment to remember his first ResE kill while Cayra escaped from under his arm. “It’s not funny,” she said “What do I do now?” Kate hesitated a moment before asking “Do you know the ResE’s name? The one you killed?” Cayra shook her head “Not the one that chased me. I don’t remember the other twos names either, why?”

“What did you do with the body?”

“I…I just left it there.”

“With his radio?”

“Yeah…why?”

“They’ll find him eventually.”

“But will they come after me? They’ll remember what I look like.”

“John didn’t remember your face, you think a couple of ResEs will know you?”

“Kate, please, you need to find out if they’re looking for me.”

“How would I do that?”

“You…uh…”

“I sleep with one? Is that what you wanna say?”

“…Yes.”

“Just, stay low until the heat dies down, ok?”

“Where is the body?” John asked. “Why do you care?” Kate asked. “I want that shit the ResEs have…and hell, we could always frame someone else by planting the fucker‘s head under someone’s bed or something,” John said “Can you take me there?” Cayra nodded slowly. “You’re fucking weird,” Kate said. “Let’s go,” John said.

***********************

“I can’t find my mommy,” a child said as she tugged at Nick’s shirt. “Is mommy hot?” he asked while not even bothering to look at the kid. He had hoped the kid would go away but she was persistent on telling him about her missing mommy. “Fuck off kid!” he shouted as the kid cowered, but did not run away like he had hoped. “I don’t give a shit about your mom and I sure as fuck don’t give a shit about your problems!”

“When will you?” the kid asked as Nick flared he nostrils and flipped off the kid. “When you’re 18, now GIT!” he screamed as he pointed his rifle at her and she ran away. Nick laughed his ass off as Kyle walked over. “Remind me to hire you as a babysitter when I have kids,” he said as he sat down on some nearby steps.

“I fucking hate daytime duty,” Nick complained as he reached into his pocket.

“Really, I never noticed,” Nick responded as he flipped a pair of sunglasses over his eyes from the top of his head.

“Hey dumbass, it’s cloudy today. There’s no sun.”

“Your point?”

“Nothin,” Nick said as he pulled out a pack of cigarettes.

“The fuck are you doin?” Kyle asked.

“You tell me, Sherlock.”

“Don’t fucking smoke those out in the open like that.”

“Bitch bitch bitch.”

“A citizen with a big mouth sees you, and the whole city’ll wonder why they don’t get to smoke…then it’s gonna be about the drugs, then the booze, and then-”

“Since when were you a pillar of Enforcer morality? As I recall, you were right up in there with me fuckin’ that bitch last week.”

“That’s different. We were punishing a woman for breaking curfew.”

“Yeah yeah, say what you will to justify your actions, scumbag. At least I’s honest about myself?”

“Honest, eh? Then why’d you say we fucked her when you really mean we raped her?”

“Man, she wanted it. Just didn’t know it at first.”

“And ya know the difference between what we did then and what you’re about to do now? We raped that woman in private. You’re about to light up in public. Big fucking difference.”

“Whatever, bitch, I’ll put it away. Didn’t even feel like finding my lighter anyway.”

“Hey, ya know what?”

“What?”

“Was that woman a mother?”

“Fuck if I know. You think I bother asking those types of things?”

“Well, what if that kid that bothered you earlier’s missing mother was the same chick?”

“Hahaaaaaa! No way! That’d be hilarious!”

“What did you do with her afterwards?”

“Oh that’s right, you lasted about a minute then bolted out of shame. Even the raped girl felt sorry for you.”

“Thought you said she wasn’t a rape victim?”

“Whatever. Point is I don’t know where she is. I just left her there and left. She wasn’t moving much but it’s not like I did anything.”

“Fuck, what if we go back and find a corpse?”

“Then I guess we orphaned that kid.”

“Should be adopt her then? Ya know, since we’re the reason her mother’s dead?”

“Shit man, why?”

“I dunno…the right thing to do I guess.”

“Well what if we don’t bother checking if she’s dead. If we remain ignorant to her fate?”

“Then I guess we’d have no responsibility to the child since we wouldn’t really know.”

“I like that. Let’s make that our plan: Not bother checking.”

“Cool.”

“Rotting Cure? Come in Rotting Cure,” the radio buzzed.

“For fuck’s sake,” Kyle said “What now, Janky?”

“We have a possible beat on the location of Bell. I repeat: we may have found Bell,” Janky said. “So what do you want us to do about it?” Nick asked. “We have two men on their way to check it out,” Janky said “You two are closest to the area and can provide support.”

“Support for what? It’s a fucking corpse pick up,” Kyle complained. “We don’t know for sure,” Janky said “Plus there may be Rogues involved. Just a precaution.” Nick and Kyle’s eyes lit up at the mention of Rogues. “I hope they’re there,” Nick said as Kyle stood up. “Just tell us where we need to be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment